Act 2, Scene 4: The same. A street

SCENE IV. The same. A street.

    Enter GRATIANO, LORENZO, SALARINO, and SALANIO

LORENZO

    Nay, we will slink away in supper-time,
    Disguise us at my lodging and return,
    All in an hour.

GRATIANO

    We have not made good preparation.

SALARINO

    We have not spoke us yet of torchbearers.

SALANIO

    'Tis vile, unless it may be quaintly order'd,
    And better in my mind not undertook.

LORENZO

    'Tis now but four o'clock: we have two hours
    To furnish us.

    Enter LAUNCELOT, with a letter
    Friend Launcelot, what's the news?

LAUNCELOT

    An it shall please you to break up
    this, it shall seem to signify.

LORENZO

    I know the hand: in faith, 'tis a fair hand;
    And whiter than the paper it writ on
    Is the fair hand that writ.

GRATIANO

    Love-news, in faith.

LAUNCELOT

    By your leave, sir.

LORENZO

    Whither goest thou?

LAUNCELOT

    Marry, sir, to bid my old master the
    Jew to sup to-night with my new master the Christian.

LORENZO

    Hold here, take this: tell gentle Jessica
    I will not fail her; speak it privately.
    Go, gentlemen,

    Exit Launcelot
    Will you prepare you for this masque tonight?
    I am provided of a torch-bearer.

SALANIO

    Ay, marry, I'll be gone about it straight.

SALANIO

    And so will I.

LORENZO

    Meet me and Gratiano
    At Gratiano's lodging some hour hence.

SALARINO

    'Tis good we do so.

    Exeunt SALARINO and SALANIO

GRATIANO

    Was not that letter from fair Jessica?

LORENZO

    I must needs tell thee all. She hath directed
    How I shall take her from her father's house,
    What gold and jewels she is furnish'd with,
    What page's suit she hath in readiness.
    If e'er the Jew her father come to heaven,
    It will be for his gentle daughter's sake:
    And never dare misfortune cross her foot,
    Unless she do it under this excuse,
    That she is issue to a faithless Jew.
    Come, go with me; peruse this as thou goest:
    Fair Jessica shall be my torch-beare r.

    Exeunt

Related

The Merchant of Venice 210231610076059006

Weakly Top

Monthly Top

item