Act 5, Scene 1: Gloucestershire. SHALLOW'S house

SCENE I. Gloucestershire. SHALLOW'S house.

    Enter SHALLOW, FALSTAFF, BARDOLPH, and Page

SHALLOW

    By cock and pie, sir, you shall not away to-night.
    What, Davy, I say!

FALSTAFF

    You must excuse me, Master Robert Shallow.

SHALLOW

    I will not excuse you; you shall not be excused;
    excuses shall not be admitted; there is no excuse
    shall serve; you shall not be excused. Why, Davy!

    Enter DAVY

DAVY

    Here, sir.

SHALLOW

    Davy, Davy, Davy, Davy, let me see, Davy; let me
    see, Davy; let me see: yea, marry, William cook,
    bid him come hither. Sir John, you shall not be excused.

DAVY

    Marry, sir, thus; those precepts cannot be served:
    and, again, sir, shall we sow the headland with wheat?

SHALLOW

    With red wheat, Davy. But for William cook: are
    there no young pigeons?

DAVY

    Yes, sir. Here is now the smith's note for shoeing
    and plough-irons.

SHALLOW

    Let it be cast and paid. Sir John, you shall not be excused.

DAVY

    Now, sir, a new link to the bucket must need be
    had: and, sir, do you mean to stop any of William's
    wages, about the sack he lost the other day at
    Hinckley fair?

SHALLOW

    A' shall answer it. Some pigeons, Davy, a couple
    of short-legged hens, a joint of mutton, and any
    pretty little tiny kickshaws, tell William cook.

DAVY

    Doth the man of war stay all night, sir?

SHALLOW

    Yea, Davy. I will use him well: a friend i' the
    court is better than a penny in purse. Use his men
    well, Davy; for they are arrant knaves, and will backbite.

DAVY

    No worse than they are backbitten, sir; for they
    have marvellous foul linen.

SHALLOW

    Well conceited, Davy: about thy business, Davy.

DAVY

    I beseech you, sir, to countenance William Visor of
    Woncot against Clement Perkes of the hill.

SHALLOW

    There is many complaints, Davy, against that Visor:
    that Visor is an arrant knave, on my knowledge.

DAVY

    I grant your worship that he is a knave, sir; but
    yet, God forbid, sir, but a knave should have some
    countenance at his friend's request. An honest
    man, sir, is able to speak for himself, when a knave
    is not. I have served your worship truly, sir,
    this eight years; and if I cannot once or twice in
    a quarter bear out a knave against an honest man, I
    have but a very little credit with your worship. The
    knave is mine honest friend, sir; therefore, I
    beseech your worship, let him be countenanced.

SHALLOW

    Go to; I say he shall have no wrong. Look about, Davy.

    Exit DAVY
    Where are you, Sir John? Come, come, come, off
    with your boots. Give me your hand, Master Bardolph.

BARDOLPH

    I am glad to see your worship.

SHALLOW

    I thank thee with all my heart, kind
    Master Bardolph: and welcome, my tall fellow.

    To the Page
    Come, Sir John.

FALSTAFF

    I'll follow you, good Master Robert Shallow.

    Exit SHALLOW
    Bardolph, look to our horses.

    Exeunt BARDOLPH and Page
    If I were sawed into quantities, I should make four
    dozen of such bearded hermits' staves as Master
    Shallow. It is a wonderful thing to see the
    semblable coherence of his men's spirits and his:
    they, by observing of him, do bear themselves like
    foolish justices; he, by conversing with them, is
    turned into a justice-like serving-man: their
    spirits are so married in conjunction with the
    participation of society that they flock together in
    consent, like so many wild-geese. If I had a suit
    to Master Shallow, I would humour his men with the
    imputation of being near their master: if to his
    men, I would curry with Master Shallow that no man
    could better command his servants. It is certain
    that either wise bearing or ignorant carriage is
    caught, as men take diseases, one of another:
    therefore let men take heed of their company. I
    will devise matter enough out of this Shallow to
    keep Prince Harry in continual laughter the wearing
    out of six fashions, which is four terms, or two
    actions, and a' shall laugh without intervallums. O,
    it is much that a lie with a slight oath and a jest
    with a sad brow will do with a fellow that never
    had the ache in his shoulders! O, you shall see him
    laugh till his face be like a wet cloak ill laid up!

SHALLOW

    [Within] Sir John!

FALSTAFF

    I come, Master Shallow; I come, Master Shallow.

    Exit

Related

Henry IV - Part 2 409281406640822317

Weakly Top

Monthly Top

item