Antony and Cleopatra - Act 3 - Scene 3

SCENE III. Alexandria. CLEOPATRA's palace.

    Enter CLEOPATRA, CHARMIAN, IRAS, and ALEXAS

CLEOPATRA

    Where is the fellow?

ALEXAS

    Half afeard to come.

CLEOPATRA

    Go to, go to.

    Enter the Messenger as before
    Come hither, sir.

ALEXAS

    Good majesty,
    Herod of Jewry dare not look upon you
    But when you are well pleased.

CLEOPATRA

    That Herod's head
    I'll have: but how, when Antony is gone
    Through whom I might command it? Come thou near.

Messenger

    Most gracious majesty,--

CLEOPATRA

    Didst thou behold Octavia?

Messenger

    Ay, dread queen.

CLEOPATRA

    Where?

Messenger

    Madam, in Rome;
    I look'd her in the face, and saw her led
    Between her brother and Mark Antony.

CLEOPATRA

    Is she as tall as me?

Messenger

    She is not, madam.

CLEOPATRA

    Didst hear her speak? is she shrill-tongued or low?

Messenger

    Madam, I heard her speak; she is low-voiced.

CLEOPATRA

    That's not so good: he cannot like her long.

CHARMIAN

    Like her! O Isis! 'tis impossible.

CLEOPATRA

    I think so, Charmian: dull of tongue, and dwarfish!
    What majesty is in her gait? Remember,
    If e'er thou look'dst on majesty.

Messenger

    She creeps:
    Her motion and her station are as one;
    She shows a body rather than a life,
    A statue than a breather.

CLEOPATRA

    Is this certain?

Messenger

    Or I have no observance.

CHARMIAN

    Three in Egypt
    Cannot make better note.

CLEOPATRA

    He's very knowing;
    I do perceive't: there's nothing in her yet:
    The fellow has good judgment.

CHARMIAN

    Excellent.

CLEOPATRA

    Guess at her years, I prithee.

Messenger

    Madam,
    She was a widow,--

CLEOPATRA

    Widow! Charmian, hark.

Messenger

    And I do think she's thirty.

CLEOPATRA

    Bear'st thou her face in mind? is't long or round?

Messenger

    Round even to faultiness.

CLEOPATRA

    For the most part, too, they are foolish that are so.
    Her hair, what colour?

Messenger

    Brown, madam: and her forehead
    As low as she would wish it.

CLEOPATRA

    There's gold for thee.
    Thou must not take my former sharpness ill:
    I will employ thee back again; I find thee
    Most fit for business: go make thee ready;
    Our letters are prepared.

    Exit Messenger

CHARMIAN

    A proper man.

CLEOPATRA

    Indeed, he is so: I repent me much
    That so I harried him. Why, methinks, by him,
    This creature's no such thing.

CHARMIAN

    Nothing, madam.

CLEOPATRA

    The man hath seen some majesty, and should know.

CHARMIAN

    Hath he seen majesty? Isis else defend,
    And serving you so long!

CLEOPATRA

    I have one thing more to ask him yet, good Charmian:
    But 'tis no matter; thou shalt bring him to me
    Where I will write. All may be well enough.

CHARMIAN

    I warrant you, madam.

    Exeunt

Related

Antony and Cleopatra 3139597014901979505

Weakly Top

Monthly Top

item