Coriolanus - Act 4 - Scene 2

SCENE II. The same. A street near the gate.

    Enter SICINIUS, BRUTUS, and an AEdile

SICINIUS

    Bid them all home; he's gone, and we'll no further.
    The nobility are vex'd, whom we see have sided
    In his behalf.

BRUTUS

    Now we have shown our power,
    Let us seem humbler after it is done
    Than when it was a-doing.

SICINIUS

    Bid them home:
    Say their great enemy is gone, and they
    Stand in their ancient strength.

BRUTUS

    Dismiss them home.

    Exit AEdile
    Here comes his mother.

SICINIUS

    Let's not meet her.

BRUTUS

    Why?

SICINIUS

    They say she's mad.

BRUTUS

    They have ta'en note of us: keep on your way.

    Enter VOLUMNIA, VIRGILIA, and MENENIUS

VOLUMNIA

    O, ye're well met: the hoarded plague o' the gods
    Requite your love!

MENENIUS

    Peace, peace; be not so loud.

VOLUMNIA

    If that I could for weeping, you should hear,--
    Nay, and you shall hear some.

    To BRUTUS
    Will you be gone?

VIRGILIA

    [To SICINIUS] You shall stay too: I would I had the power
    To say so to my husband.

SICINIUS

    Are you mankind?

VOLUMNIA

    Ay, fool; is that a shame? Note but this fool.
    Was not a man my father? Hadst thou foxship
    To banish him that struck more blows for Rome
    Than thou hast spoken words?

SICINIUS

    O blessed heavens!

VOLUMNIA

    More noble blows than ever thou wise words;
    And for Rome's good. I'll tell thee what; yet go:
    Nay, but thou shalt stay too: I would my son
    Were in Arabia, and thy tribe before him,
    His good sword in his hand.

SICINIUS

    What then?

VIRGILIA

    What then!
    He'ld make an end of thy posterity.

VOLUMNIA

    Bastards and all.
    Good man, the wounds that he does bear for Rome!

MENENIUS

    Come, come, peace.

SICINIUS

    I would he had continued to his country
    As he began, and not unknit himself
    The noble knot he made.

BRUTUS

    I would he had.

VOLUMNIA

    'I would he had'! 'Twas you incensed the rabble:
    Cats, that can judge as fitly of his worth
    As I can of those mysteries which heaven
    Will not have earth to know.

BRUTUS

    Pray, let us go.

VOLUMNIA

    Now, pray, sir, get you gone:
    You have done a brave deed. Ere you go, hear this:--
    As far as doth the Capitol exceed
    The meanest house in Rome, so far my son--
    This lady's husband here, this, do you see--
    Whom you have banish'd, does exceed you all.

BRUTUS

    Well, well, we'll leave you.

SICINIUS

    Why stay we to be baited
    With one that wants her wits?

VOLUMNIA

    Take my prayers with you.

    Exeunt Tribunes
    I would the gods had nothing else to do
    But to confirm my curses! Could I meet 'em
    But once a-day, it would unclog my heart
    Of what lies heavy to't.

MENENIUS

    You have told them home;
    And, by my troth, you have cause. You'll sup with me?

VOLUMNIA

    Anger's my meat; I sup upon myself,
    And so shall starve with feeding. Come, let's go:
    Leave this faint puling and lament as I do,
    In anger, Juno-like. Come, come, come.

MENENIUS

    Fie, fie, fie!

    Exeunt

Related

Coriolanus 5291032677190137070

Weakly Top

Monthly Top

item