Timon of Athens - Act 3 - Scene 4

SCENE IV. The same. A hall in Timon's house.

    Enter two Servants of Varro, and the Servant of LUCIUS, meeting TITUS, HORTENSIUS, and other Servants of TIMON's creditors, waiting his coming out

    Varro's

First Servant

    Well met; good morrow, Titus and Hortensius.

TITUS

    The like to you kind Varro.

HORTENSIUS

    Lucius!
    What, do we meet together?
    Lucilius' Servant Ay, and I think
    One business does command us all; for mine Is money.

TITUS

    So is theirs and ours.

    Enter PHILOTUS
    Lucilius' Servant And Sir Philotus too!

PHILOTUS

    Good day at once.
    Lucilius' Servant Welcome, good brother.
    What do you think the hour?

PHILOTUS

    Labouring for nine.
    Lucilius' Servant So much?

PHILOTUS

    Is not my lord seen yet?
    Lucilius' Servant Not yet.

PHILOTUS

    I wonder on't; he was wont to shine at seven.
    Lucilius' Servant Ay, but the days are wax'd shorter with him:
    You must consider that a prodigal course
    Is like the sun's; but not, like his, recoverable.
    I fear 'tis deepest winter in Lord Timon's purse;
    That is one may reach deep enough, and yet
    Find little.

PHILOTUS

    I am of your fear for that.

TITUS

    I'll show you how to observe a strange event.
    Your lord sends now for money.

HORTENSIUS

    Most true, he does.

TITUS

    And he wears jewels now of Timon's gift,
    For which I wait for money.

HORTENSIUS

    It is against my heart.
    Lucilius' Servant Mark, how strange it shows,
    Timon in this should pay more than he owes:
    And e'en as if your lord should wear rich jewels,
    And send for money for 'em.

HORTENSIUS

    I'm weary of this charge, the gods can witness:
    I know my lord hath spent of Timon's wealth,
    And now ingratitude makes it worse than stealth.
    Varro's

First Servant

    Yes, mine's three thousand crowns: what's yours?
    Lucilius' Servant Five thousand mine.
    Varro's

First Servant

    'Tis much deep: and it should seem by the sun,
    Your master's confidence was above mine;
    Else, surely, his had equall'd.
    Enter FLAMINIUS.

TITUS

    One of Lord Timon's men.
    Lucilius' Servant Flaminius! Sir, a word: pray, is my lord ready to
    come forth?

FLAMINIUS

    No, indeed, he is not.

TITUS

    We attend his lordship; pray, signify so much.

FLAMINIUS

    I need not tell him that; he knows you are too diligent.

    Exit

    Enter FLAVIUS in a cloak, muffled
    Lucilius' Servant Ha! is not that his steward muffled so?
    He goes away in a cloud: call him, call him.

TITUS

    Do you hear, sir?
    Varro's

Second Servant

    By your leave, sir,--

FLAVIUS

    What do ye ask of me, my friend?

TITUS

    We wait for certain money here, sir.

FLAVIUS

    Ay,
    If money were as certain as your waiting,
    'Twere sure enough.
    Why then preferr'd you not your sums and bills,
    When your false masters eat of my lord's meat?
    Then they could smile and fawn upon his debts
    And take down the interest into their
    gluttonous maws.
    You do yourselves but wrong to stir me up;
    Let me pass quietly:
    Believe 't, my lord and I have made an end;
    I have no more to reckon, he to spend.
    Lucilius' Servant Ay, but this answer will not serve.

FLAVIUS

    If 'twill not serve,'tis not so base as you;
    For you serve knaves.

    Exit
    Varro's

First Servant

    How! what does his cashiered worship mutter?
    Varro's

Second Servant

    No matter what; he's poor, and that's revenge
    enough. Who can speak broader than he that has no
    house to put his head in? such may rail against
    great buildings.

    Enter SERVILIUS

TITUS

    O, here's Servilius; now we shall know some answer.

SERVILIUS

    If I might beseech you, gentlemen, to repair some
    other hour, I should derive much from't; for,
    take't of my soul, my lord leans wondrously to
    discontent: his comfortable temper has forsook him;
    he's much out of health, and keeps his chamber.
    Lucilius' Servant: Many do keep their chambers are not sick:
    And, if it be so far beyond his health,
    Methinks he should the sooner pay his debts,
    And make a clear way to the gods.

SERVILIUS

    Good gods!

TITUS

    We cannot take this for answer, sir.

FLAMINIUS

    [Within] Servilius, help! My lord! my lord!

    Enter TIMON, in a rage, FLAMINIUS following

TIMON

    What, are my doors opposed against my passage?
    Have I been ever free, and must my house
    Be my retentive enemy, my gaol?
    The place which I have feasted, does it now,
    Like all mankind, show me an iron heart?
    Lucilius' Servant Put in now, Titus.

TITUS

    My lord, here is my bill.
    Lucilius' Servant Here's mine.

HORTENSIUS

    And mine, my lord.
    Both
    Varro's Servants And ours, my lord.

PHILOTUS

    All our bills.

TIMON

    Knock me down with 'em: cleave me to the girdle.
    Lucilius' Servant Alas, my lord,-

TIMON

    Cut my heart in sums.

TITUS

    Mine, fifty talents.

TIMON

    Tell out my blood.
    Lucilius' Servant Five thousand crowns, my lord.

TIMON

    Five thousand drops pays that.
    What yours?--and yours?
    Varro's

First Servant

    My lord,--
    Varro's

Second Servant

    My lord,--

TIMON

    Tear me, take me, and the gods fall upon you!

    Exit

HORTENSIUS

    'Faith, I perceive our masters may throw their caps
    at their money: these debts may well be called
    desperate ones, for a madman owes 'em.

    Exeunt

    Re-enter TIMON and FLAVIUS

TIMON

    They have e'en put my breath from me, the slaves.
    Creditors? devils!

FLAVIUS

    My dear lord,--

TIMON

    What if it should be so?

FLAVIUS

    My lord,--

TIMON

    I'll have it so. My steward!

FLAVIUS

    Here, my lord.

TIMON

    So fitly? Go, bid all my friends again,
    Lucius, Lucullus, and Sempronius:
    All, sirrah, all:
    I'll once more feast the rascals.

FLAVIUS

    O my lord,
    You only speak from your distracted soul;
    There is not so much left, to furnish out
    A moderate table.

TIMON

    Be't not in thy care; go,
    I charge thee, invite them all: let in the tide
    Of knaves once more; my cook and I'll provide.

    Exeunt

Related

Timon of Athens 6563658175507379572

Weakly Top

Monthly Top

item